Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Gift Project

My sister came for a visit during the Thanksgiving holiday and we had a talk about a Christmas gift for me to sew for her. She was wearing a VERY cute cream t-shirt with a ballet neckline, three quarter sleeves, and a very cute navy, orange, and gold print... We were talking skirts, that I feel I look better in them and that she wishes she owned more... and then she said: "Like this top: I'd love to have a new skirt to go with this in navy with an orange edge at the bottom." I said, "What kind of fabric, denim, finewhale corduroy?? And would orange bias tape at the bottom do?"


She looked at me and said, "Why are you going to make me one?" And I of course, said, YES, and measured her... asking how long she'd like it, and writing down her measurements and making a small sketch... she wants a buttoned waist, gathered skirt, and mid thigh length with that bias hem... Really, there's no simpler skirt to make, even if I make it slightly A-Line!! The truth is I hate picking gifts, I'd much rather consult with my recipient and make sure they love it. Not much on the surprise front, perhaps, but at least the gift is actually loved!


I've already purchased the orange bias tape while at G Street Fabrics. I suppose I just need a zipper, now. I also have a little bit of navy corduroy already, I'll see if it's enough!! This may be a very ECONOMICAL gift as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment